The state of Florida always seems to find its way into national news with some sort of “Florida Man” related crime where the person in question is undoubtedly doing something ridiculous that gets them in trouble with law enforcement. Florida isn’t the only state where seemly absurd crimes happen continuously, but it is one of few states with strong public record laws.
Thanks to the Sunshine Laws, news reporters are able to get the scoop on just about anything that involves a police incident report. These laws were established in 1995. It’s a series of laws designed to guarantee that the public has access to the public records of government bodies in Florida. Public records include all documents, papers, letters, maps, books, tapes, photographs, films, sound recordings, data processing software, or other material, regardless of physical form or characteristics, or means of transmission, made or received pursuant to law to ordinance or in connection with the transaction of official business by any agency.
For the record, Florida Man isn’t always bad – sometimes he’s known to save a puppy from the clutches of an alligator.
Here are some popular Florida Man headlines to make the news in 2020:
- January – Naked Florida Man Bites K-9, Punches and Spits on Deputies
- February – Florida Man Trying To Kill “Demons” Tormenting Him Went On Sledgehammer Spree
- March – Florida Man Uses Coronavirus Quarantine Rules To Cover Up Wife’s Murder
- April – Florida Man Attacks Roommate Who Woke Him Up for Breakfast
- May – Florida Man Bought a Lamborghini with Coronavirus Aid Money
- June – Florida Man Lets 12-Year Old Drive 85 MPH to be Cool Dad
- July – Florida Man Flees Crash with Backpack Full of Drugs and Hides in Fire Station
- August – Florida Man Charged for Allegedly Living in Stadium Suite
- September – Naked Florida Man Starts Fire While Baking Cookies on George Foreman Grill
- October – Florida Man Arrested for Using Bible as Weapon
- November – Florida Man Brings Child with Him During Crimes to ‘Toughen Him Up’
- December – Nabbed for Street Racing, Florida Man Blasts “Bad Boys”
If you or someone you know are a Florida Man who has been charged with a crime, your next move should be to find an experienced criminal defense attorney. Russell Spatz has been handling cases in Florida for over 30 years and is ready to help you get through the process involved with your case. Call him today at 305-442-0200.