Drinking and driving is a criminal offense that can be life altering in many ways. Not only is it extremely dangerous and completely avoidable – especially with such easy access to ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft – but it can also result in jail time, loss of driving privileges, and a huge hit to one’s pocket financially. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety, A DUI is it’s when it is found that the operator of the vehicle is proven to be impaired beyond the legal limit, via Breathalyzer, of a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08 or greater.
Knowing the consequences you could be facing can help deter you from making the mistake of driving under the influence. In the event that you do get pulled over while over the legal limit here’s what you can expect:
- You rack up worse consequences the more times you’re stopped and charged with a DUI. Jail time, fines and fees, and the duration of your license suspension all increase.
- Even for a first DUI offense, you’re not off the hook:
- 6 to 9 months of prison time
- Fines from $500 to $2000
- 180 days to 1 year of license suspension
- An IID (interlocking ignition device) requirement
- The blood alcohol content level is different if you’re under legal drinking age. If you’re under the age of 21 you can be apprehended for a DUI a with BAC of just 0.02%.
- If you are charged with a secondary or third offense, the timeline of when your last DUIs took place will determine your new charges and it’s punishment.
- Your penalties are worse if you’re pulled over with a passenger under the age of 18 AND if your BAC is found to be higher than 0.15%.
Driving under the influence is not something that should be taken lightly and is something that should be avoided at all costs, but if you are pulled over and charged with a DUI getting the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney can make a world of a difference when it comes to the way your case is handled. They may be able to help get your charges lessened or waived (depending upon severity). Give Russell Spatz a call at 305-442-0200 to see how he can help you with your DUI case. With over four decades of experience, he knows his way around a courtroom.