Florida is no stranger to being in the news for committing strange crimes. You’ve surely heard plenty of stories whose headlines begin with “Florida Man…” Many of those cases are ones where someone in the state of Florida really did commit a crime, sometimes these crimes are ridiculous and other times they are quite serious. Like every state, Florida has many laws that aren’t typically on the top of ones mind. These laws that may be dated and unenforced, but are still considered written laws that should be abided by.
Here are 10 weird laws in Florida you may not know about:
- In the city of Pensacola, rolling a barrel down the street is considered illegal. You may also face a fine, depending on the contents of your barrel.
- In the city of Cape Coral, Florida, a person can be fined $50 for keeping a couch underneath their outdoor carport.
- In the state of Florida, it is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
- In the state of Florida, women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.
- In the state of Florida, a special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
- In the state of Florida, skateboarding without a license is illegal.
- In Daytona Beach, maintaining a car on your property that is no longer in use is prohibited.
- In the state of Florida, the law states you must pay for the parking meter if you tie an elephant, goat or alligator to it.
- In Miami Beach, it is illegal to sell oranges on the sidewalk.
- It is illegal to park in an intersection, at a crosswalk, or on the edge of a curbed street.
If you or a loved one happen to be in trouble due to one of these laws or any other seemingly outdated law in Florida, it’s likely that the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney can help your situation. Contact Russell Spatz at (305) 442-0200 today to see how his four decades of experience can be of service to you.
Perishable. “Weird Laws: A Collection of the Strangest Laws Around the Country.” Florida Justice, https://floridajustice.com/strange-laws.
contribute?, How can I. “The Most Unusual Florida Laws You’ve Never Heard Of.” Enjuris Blog | Find Answers and Share Your Accident’s Story, 19 Apr. 2019, https://www.enjuris.com/blog/fl/weird-laws-in-florida/.
W, Victoria. “Not Many People Realize That These 15 Things Are Actually Illegal In Florida.” OnlyInYourState, 26 Apr. 2016, https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/florida/silly-laws-2-fl/.